Positions held during the past fifteen years prior to CIMA
July 2003 to April 30 2007 Deputy CEO, PABC Bank
- Overall in charge of the entire operations of the bank, including ALCO, Credit, Business development, marketing and IT steering Committees. Also attend the Board, Board Audit Committee. Board Credit Committee and represent the bank at meetings with Central Bank. Since I joined the bank in 2003, I initiate the new retail focused business formula. In 2003 the bank was able to fully write off the carried forward losses. In 2004 the bank recorded post tax profit of RS 42Mn for the first time in five years, which won the SLIM “Silver Award” as the turnaround brand. In 2005 the Bank crossed the 100Mn mark to record to record a post-tax profit of RS 108 Mn. The profitability trend continued through a tough year in 2006 and should achieve post tax profits in the region of RS 150Mn recording a 50% growth.
- Balance sheet, Deposits and Advances recorded 120% growth in the 40 months I was with the Bank , which is way above industry average
- Branch network grew by 70% from 13 to 22 despite capital constraints
- Launched three innovative products; a) The first ever mini credit card, b) ‘Gedarata Mudal” the first ever cash delivery services to home for middle-eastern remittances, c) “Dasalakshapathi” a simplest of savings certificates that mobilized RS96 Mn low cost funds in six months
July 2000 to July 2003: Head of Operations/Retail Banking , Nations Trust Bank
- As Head of Operations was responsible for the areas of Central Operations. HRD, Marketing. It was at the early stages of the bank, streamlining central operations, writing operational and BCP procedures, and managing the operations of the branches and other delivery channels for service delivery channels were my key result areas.
- As Head of Retail Banking was responsible for the growth of deposits, retail advances and profitability of the branch network. During my tenure as Head of Retail Banking NTB acquired the business of SCB Kandy and AMEX Colombo. Member of the IT steering and HR steering Committees. Also attend the Board Credit and Audit committees. Member of the AMEX Credit Card launch team. Evaluated the credit card software (Currently used) in Bombay India.
- Member of the Corporate Management team, representing the ALCO, Credit and HR and IT Steering Committee.
March 1994 to July 2000: Senior Manager - Bank and Card Operations, Commercial Bank
- Re- engineering of Business process consequent to the new Software implementation.
- As SMG operations accomplished the Cirrus connectivity for “CAT” card
- Launched the Combank International” Credit card in Jan.2000.
Coaching and Training Skills
- I have been the Chief Examiner for the subject “ Bank Marketing” for the CBF and ACBF levels of examinations 2001/2002 conducted by Institute of Bankers of Sri Lanka.
- Visiting faculty at Post Graduate Institute of Management affiliated to the University of Sri Jayawardenepura for MBA – Banking & Finance for the subjects of Business Performance Analysis and Financial Services Operations
- Visiting faculty at the University of Kelaniya for MBA Banking and Finance ( 2007-2008), covering the subject of Banking and Capital Markets
- I have been appointed at judging panel of MTI Consulting for “MTI Venture Start up Challenge
- Judge for Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing for “SLIM Brand Excellence awards 2010 and 2014”.
- Chairman of the Judging Panel for Jaycees Ten Young Outstanding Persons in 2013
Research, Publications & Presentations
- A management article on the “Paradigm Shift in Managerial Responsibility” highlighting the need for good governance was in the convention publication of the Association of Professional Banking
- Finding Nemo an article on finding talent published on the FT
- “Slow and steady no longer wins the race” Published in Daily FT 19/06/2013
- Key note Speaker at SAICON Islamabad 2014, 2014
- Opening Speaker at Business Leaders Summit – Colombo 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 2015
- Opening Speaker at business leaders Summit – Karachi 2013, 2014